Thursday, June 01, 2006

frustration

Today is my 83rd birthday. The years have sure snuck up fast as I never expected the 80's to come so fast. As I look back there are many wonderful memories for me to feast on. Today is a half rainy and much cooler day so just may take the day off. Don is taking me out to dinner tonight so no meal to prepare and that is so good as I don't mind geeting the dinners but it is the decisions. Most of my family have called with greetings along with some neighbours and friends. My husband gave me a real mushy but wonderful card.

Back to the frustration episode. Tues I went to my Dr with a pain in my neck, no this is an actual pain. She said some therapy might help but best to have an x ray first. I walked to the radiology clinic, which is it now called, and was told that I had to phone Belleville to get permission to have the x ray right here in Picton. So dumb, I'm standing right in the clinic. I came home and phoned Belleville. First I listen to the first preamble then told to press button numer 1 for one thing then button number 2 for something else then a question is asked and either Emily or another voice comes on and says "Is that a yes or a no?" then " I didn't hear you now is that a yes or no?" We have a rotary phone so no button to press. Then there is silence . I hang up and try again with the same results. Finally someone answers and I get an appointment for the next day at the Picton clinic. I decided to ask if this was an efficient way and was told no. Did it save money? Doubtful. Is there a number that I can call directly into Picton hospital, No you have to go through Belleville. I'm surprised that ordinary people are smart enough to have handled and are still handling ordinary things without all this technology that is flying around and befuddling us. Good thing I wasn't an emergency as it would have been easier to drive to Belleville go see whoever handles phone messages and get the appointment then.

Now to where I left off last month. Our one neighbour Alison came from Switzerland 10 years ago. She was born in Quebec but met a fellow from Switzerland when she was a young lass and married him. They worked here for a few years till mama called and said, son come home, your father needs you, so they packed and went to Switzerland. When he retired they came back to Canada and settled in a condo by the Bay of Quinte. Good place as it is on the water and they had a boat and the condo has a dock for each unit. Unfortunately her husband died a few years ago but she has stayed. She has a son who lives in Switzerland and another who lives in New England. 5 years after they were here they were required to try for their G2 car license. Their Swiss license was good for the first 5 years. Now Alison has to try for her G1 license , whaterever the G stands for and I don't care to get into that. For her to get that she has to drive on the 401 which is our super highway, and she has no need for that. Don has been taking her onto the road and helping her get up to speed and all that stuff so she has to try that later this month and Don is going with her.

Don has been having tractor problems but then his tractor is a 1953 model and does need a lot of TLC. The handle of his riding lawn mower came off in his hand and our septic system decided to run too slowly so there have been a few things that have been on the frustrating side. Nothing that can't be fixed.

Mid May we attended the annual Navy meeting with about 350 attending, fewer and fewer attend each year. Those who do rehash their navy days and the pranks they played and so relive the war years. Don't we all relive past times. Good for the soul. The annual is held in Digby, Nova Scotia next May, hope all can attend.

Our son from Vancouver came May 18th till May 24th and we were happy to have him. That weekend was a holiday weekend and 2 of our daughters and a friend came that weekend . We are always happy to have any member or members of our family to visit. This was not really a visiting weekend. The men got the boat hoist and docks in. A very large and old tree had to come down so a fellow came from town and did that. The next day he was back with a splitter so all the wood from that tree got split but so far not piled. We had a great weekend and the girls dished up spectacular dinners. I sat in the lazy boy and watched.

Our son has an office job and does jog and work out but methinks that he wasn't used to all the work and the unused muscles that got used as he slept on the plane going to Vancouver.

This past Sunday brought some summery weather and it has gotten hotter each day till today and we have some blessed rain.

Time for a rest. Stay cool all.

16 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous prakash said...

Wish you a Happy Birthday

Prakash
(Regular Reader of Sandy's Column2 Blog)

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Helen,
Happy 83rd Birthday. Take it easy and enjoy. Hopefully we'll be seeing you soon. Alexander and Julia had a great 2nd and 5th b-day on the 17th of May (They're growing up so quickly) and thank you very much for the money and the card for them. Say hello to Don and enjoy the great weather.

Love Julian, Cindy, and the kids

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Robert McIlree said...

Helen - Happy birthday and best wishes! I was made aware of your special day by your daughter Sandy, who's a colleague of mine in the blogoshpere. :)

Bob McIlree

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Betty said...

Hi Mom,

Happy birthday. Here's hoping you have 83 more.

Love, Betty

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Damir said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Nancy said...

Happy birthday Aunt Helen. I can't believe you are 83 - you do so much and act way younger - 50ish like me.
We had the very best visit when you came west and are looking forward to the next time you come here.
Best wishes for the birthday, I hope you had a great dinner and that Uncle Don lived up to his 'mushy' card!love Neice Nancy

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

Happy birthday! I heard about your birthday from Sandy, whom I met at a conference in Toronto. =) You're cool!

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Ingrid Sapona said...

Hey Mrs. Kelmsley --
Happy Birthday (or, since it's after midnight -- happy day after your 83rd!)
Did you ever think you'd be doing a BLOG on your birthday? I'll bet not... wonder what new, interesting things you'll be up to the next year -- can't wait to hear what you do on your 84th -- I just hope I can keep up!
All the best,
Ingrid Sapona

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Sacha said...

Happy birthday again!

This is one of my mom's favorite poems:

When I Am Old
Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me,
And I shall spend my pension
on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals,
and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired,
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells,
And run my stick along the public railings,
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens,
And learn to spit.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat,
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go,
Or only bread and pickle for a week,
And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats
and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry,
And pay our rent and not swear in the street,
And set a good example for the children.
We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me
are not too shocked and surprised,
When suddenly I am old
and start to wear purple!

 
At 2:36 AM, Anonymous harvey@adphoto.com.ph said...

Dear Ms. Helen K.,

Happy birthday, and may God give you many more years.

My 22-year old daughter, Sacha, who is a graduate student at the University of Toronto, wrote a short note about you celebrating your 83rd birthday. She told her friends to greet you. I clicked on the link and had a chance to read your blog. Sacha blogs a lot, and it must have touched her heart to read yours. As it certainly touched mine!

You are an inspiring example, not only because you blog, but also because you sound like a really cool person. I turned 60 this year and I hope to be doing whatever will be the future's way of communicating when I am in my 80's, God willing.

I wish you and your husband a fantastic day today and all the days to come.

Warmest regards,
Harvey (I just happen to have a man's name, but I am Sacha's mom).
in the Philippines

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous roro said...

Sandy sent me! I'm a day late to wish you a happy birthday, Mrs. Kemsley, but I don't believe in birthDAYS, but rather birthMONTHS. That way you can draw out the fun as long as possible!

Best wishes for a wonderful birthmonth,

Rosemary (from Toronto)

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger my name is kate said...

Hi, Mrs. Kemsley! I'm a colleague of Sandy's. Happy happy birthday - so glad to see you're blogging! I think that's AWESOME.

Cheers .. Kate (Toronto)

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Mildred Garfield said...

Hi Helen

This birthday greeting is from Steve Garfield's 80 year old mom.

Aren't we something!! Blogging is the way to go, keeps us young!!

Wishing you many more happy birthdays.

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. K., Remember me, Pat? I learned all about barbecuing turkey with the family out in Mississauga that time. (That bright red color of the meat is from the carbon dioxide building up, I discovered later from watching CSI!)
Anyway, that bird sure tasted good, CO2 or not! Hope you continue in top form for many more years. All the Best, Sandy & Betty's Pal, Pat

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Trevor Sumner said...

Happy Birthday Sandy's Mom. I am an avid reader of your daughter's blog and your ability to adopt technology gives me hope for my mom. I am still getting her over the email hump. I will bet you never knew you had so many random friends!!!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger pat said...

Hey, Mrs. Kemsley -- sorry I missed your birthday.
I was out of town and didn't have a whole lot of internet access (or any of my bookmarks)....
Hope your birthday was happy and pleasant. I heard from Sandy and Betty about the holiday weekend!

Sandy and I are having lunch together tomorrow. It's amazing that we've now known each other for more than half our lives. Thank you for being her mother, and for being yourself.
And for blogging :-D

I emailed the link to your blog to my parents tonight. Maybe we can all get together down east next summer either before or after the naval meeting -- Mom & Dad are in Pugwash, NS.

Love,
...pat. anderson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home